Tuesday, August 26, 2008

What I've Missed Because of the Olympics

The Olympics are over and sport must go on. And actually, I was glad to be distracted by the Olympics. I didn't even touch ESPN once on my tv dial while the Olympics were on. No baseball. No Red Sox. No Yankees. No shitty ESPN slant. No talking heads talking about stupid things. And best of all, no Brett Favre. It was awesome.

But reality has come to bite me in the ass and if I want to continue this whole blog thing, I'll have to pay attention to "main stream" sports.

So here we go. A list of what I've missed because of the awesome-ness of the Olympics.
  • Aaron Rodgers was in my History 7A discussion section in my first year (and Rodgers' last year) at the University of California. He was a cool guy. He fell a sleep a lot, but who didn't? The class was at 8 in the morning. But that's just the way I can say that I have actually met an NFL quarterback and one who starts for the most historic franchise in the League. Rodgers waited his turn. He has it now. Thanks for nothing Favre.
  • And speaking of Cal quarterbacks, the young gunslinger, Kevin Riley, gets the nod from Jeff Tedford. The Bears have no expectations for this year, which is good. They have a pretty advantageous schedule also. (More on this when I preview college football).
  • While we're on the topic of college football, Georgia No. 1? Why the hell not. At least it's not THE Ohio State University or THE University of Southern California. But can the Dawgs really beat Tim Tebow and Florida? I think not.
  • And speaking of the Trojans, I love them fightin' words coming out of the Southern Branch of the University of California. And remember, UCLA did upset the Trojans two years ago.
  • Speaking of Los Angeles, the Dodgers still trail the Diamondbacks for the NL West lead, even after getting Manny Ramirez. And the Angels...best team in baseball?
  • While we're still in SoCal, let me talk about my Chargers. Philip Rivers looks fine. Antonio Gates will be fine. LT will be fine. Shawn Merriman? He needs to just sit out. Please remember that A.J. Smith is the best general manager in pro football. And please remember that the Chargers have the deepest team in the League. And please remember that the Bolts plays the cheating Patriots and the Indy Colts at home this year. If there ever was a year for San Diego, it's this one.
  • And the most overrated event in sport happened the same weekend the Olympics closed. Thanks Hawaii for bring the Little League World Series title back to the States.

No comments: