Friday, August 15, 2008

Phelps Versus the World, Part III

So I haven't updated my Michael Phelps versus the rest of the world gold medal race in awhile, and with Phelps finishing up his individual program at these Olympic Games tonight, I thought I'd recap what I've missed.

Phelps currently has six gold medals (he goes for number seven tonight).

Currently, six countries are tied with or have more gold medals than Phelps. China leads the gold medal count with 26, the U.S. has 14, Germany has eight, while South Korea, Italy and Japan are tied with Phelps with six gold medals each.

So, Phelps has more gold medals than 198 countries participating at these Games, while is assault on Mark Spitz continues tonight and probably on Sunday, as a member of the Team USA's last medley relay team.

What does it say when one man can achieve so much, that he can dwarf 198 different nations?

No comments: