Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Since I've Been Gone, Part Deux

My apologies once again. I had to travel, get settled at my new job (which hasn't happened yet) and look for a place to live (which might end soon). So the world of sport hasn't been on my mind.

Though I did watch that great screw job that Nastia Liukin got yesterday on the uneven bars (more on that in a second).

So I've missed a few things from the Olympics, here's what I think are most important.

  • Oh No They Didn't: I feel for Liukin. I really do. That routine was amazing. That little Chinese girl's routine? That was amazing too. But they tied. And somehow the computers picked He Kexin to win the gold. Oooooooookay. What about both of them doing another routine to decide the medal? That would have been nice. But that overshadows the fact the Liukin out-shined everyone on the team--including over-hyped 16-year-old Shawn Johnson--by tying Mary Lou Retton and Shannon Miller's record of five medals in a single Olympics. Johnson, by the way, finally got that gold medal.
  • Enticing Rematch: Team USA gets that rematch that it wanted against Brazil. And it will be for the gold medal. On Thursday. I wonder how many times the Americans will be replaying that 4-0 beat-down it got from the Brazilians last year. Probably not many times. It's most likely ingrained in their minds.
  • So I guess They Do Want Gold: I'm not as converted as Andrew Bogut. But I'm almost converted. Now the U.S. men's basketball team has go to win the gold.
  • Underperformance: I would like to take this time to thank all the American track and field athletes for failing to entertain me in this last week of the Olympics (congrats to those hurdle guys though). Yes, that includes you Tyson Gay, who didn't even make the final in your ONE event. I guess swimming is just the better event.

No comments: