Thursday, August 7, 2008

Americans Sigh Relief

They finally got one. The United States U-23 team notched their first goal in four matches and took its Olympic opener over Japan, 1-0.

I didn't get to watch the game (I didn't wake up for it, but I tried, I promised), but from what I heard, the U.S. is still plagued by the same lack of attacking prowess that it displayed in the three friendlies leading up to the Games.

Peter Nowak also sought to sit the next American superstar, Jozy Altidore (who didn't play until the 74th minute), a move that SI's Grant Wahl hails as genius. What was genius was starting Maurice Edu (normally a central midfielder) in the back. Not starting Altidore not so much. Sure the Americans got the win. But, from what I've read, the team still lacked a cohesiveness.

The team got the goal, it got the win, but it hasn't played a solid game of football yet.

And then maybe Nowak's sending a message to his young starling: shape up or don't play. The later isn't going to happen anytime soon and I'm sure Nowak will insert the young sensation for Team USA's next match against the Dutch.

But they got the win, albeit an ugly one. And now the Americans find themselves atop of their table and in control of their destiny. I say one more win and the U.S. cashes their ticket for the quarterfinals. When was the last time that happened?

No comments: