Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Since I've Been Gone

First of all, my apologies for not updating the last couple of days. I'm starting a new job and the work is pretty crazy. It also doesn't help that I don't get an internet connection where I'm staying, but I'll make due.

A lot's happened since the last time I've posted. Here's what I've missed. And don't worry, the Phelps versus the world gold medal count is coming up in just a bit.

  • I guess the USA men's basketball team is out to redeem itself. Or, maybe all the conspiracy theories have been disproved. Whatever the case, Team USA made a huge announcement when it thrashed host China in the opening game of the Olympic hoops tournament. This totally throws out my friend Chris's theory (Chris by the way runs Bear Territory, check it out sometime). Chris thought that at the beginning of the NBA's most recent season, Yao Ming was going to win the MVP, get the Houston Rockets to the finals and then lead China to gold all in a huge conspiracy/marketing ploy. I guess not. (None of those things have happened or may not happen yet, btw).
  • Even more impressive was the U.S. Men's National Soccer Team drawing the Netherlands in the second day of group stage. At one point (after a Jozy Altidore score) the Americans were actually leading the U-23 European champions. But I'll take a draw. Team USA still leads its group and with a draw tonight against Nigeria, can secure a spot in the quarters.
  • Michael Phelps owes Jason Lezak some money. And so does Cullen Jones. What Lezak did was amazing. And with Phelps winning the 200m freestyle yesterday, he's 3 for 3 in gold medal attempts. Thanks Lezak. That was incredible.
  • China's men did their thing in the gym, winning the gold medal that they were supposed to win. But the U.S., without the Hamm brothers, taking bronze? That's a miracle.
  • Aaron Peirsol and (Cal graduate) Natalie Coughlin did their thing in the 100m backstroke. Both won gold.
  • And everything is alright with the U.S. Women's Soccer Team. They defeated New Zealand 4-0 today. Forward march to the quarters.

No comments: